Friday, July 8, 2011

" Launching a New Season"

What happens when a season in your life comes to an end?  God launches a new one! That's what happens!  Preparation for the launching of a new season has begun for me this summer.  I have worked on the music staff of my church for the past 15 plus years, and I've served as pianist for 25 years.  My latest position was Interim Worship Leader which lasted for 2 and a half years while we searched for a Senior pastor and a Worship pastor.  Since we now have hired both, my assignment is back to pianist.  I love what I do and I praise God for the opportunity to use the talents that he's entrusted me with to serve in this capacity.  I've lived and learned a lot.

My life, though, has dramatically changed! I'm able now to be at home much more than before, and I love it! No more staff meetings, worship planning, designing worship services, and special events.  I'm not in charge of rehearsals, or planning rehearsals.  No more proofing media or bulletins for Sunday morning worship.  It's not that I didn't enjoy doing those things, because I did, but it was only for a season.  I'm  still teaching piano from home, but my days are much more flexible now.  I can sleep in if I choose.  I can drink my coffee much slower.  I can read my Bible at my leisure.  I can clean house, wash clothes and not feel rushed or overwhelmed.  This slower pace is much more to my liking and I consider this new season a great gift from God.  

My ultimate goal has always been to be at home and to be a full-time mom.  God has been gracious in allowing me to have much flexibility in the teaching positions I've had, as well as, the many ministry jobs that I've served in. I wouldn't trade being available for our children for anything in the world.  Being a mom is still one of the most incredible pleasures that I have and one that I truly cherish!  Our son is 21 and will be a senior this fall at the University of South Carolina. (Home of the Back-to-Back National Baseball Champions!!) Our daughter is 16 and will be a junior in high school. They don't need me quite as much as they used to, but I'm HOME and here when they do! 

This new season has meandered in at age 48!  It brings with it a lot of time to think.  There is much more "alone" time than I've ever had before.  It comes with challenges and more prayer time.  "Dear Lord, how do I schedule my days now?  What do I do first?  What should I accomplish for You today?"  A lot of women would probably ask themselves, "Who needs me now?  What am I going to do with myself since I don't have a job anymore."  That's a trap that Satan would like to set, but not for me.  I have actually looked forward to this time, this season, so I can minister in a much different way.  I know God isn't finished with me yet!  He's never finished until He takes us home!

God called me to write several years ago, but I didn't know the "how" or the "what, when  or "whys" of it all. Then He allowed me the chance to go to a "She Speaks" Conference which is put on by Proverbs 31 Ministries. Through this conference the Holy Spirit spurred me on to begin a magazine. So, I started one about three years ago.  It's called "Living Real". (http://www.livingrealmag.com/)  The second issue just came out this past May of 2011.  Because of the Interim Worship Leading position, I wasn't able to work on the magazine like I needed to, but God was teaching me some things.  Now I have the time to work on articles, edit, sell ads, and do what God has been training me for all of these years.  I'm so excited about this new adventure and I'm loving every minute of it!  As you know, I also started blogging.  Who would have "thunk" it?

I heard a speaker about 10 years ago say that we (moms) don't need to be in ministry, especially one that takes us away from our families, until we have completed the first job that God has called us to which is training and teaching our children in the way that God desires so that when they are old they will not depart from the teaching of the truth.  The speaker said that it's also difficult to minister with little life experience.  This doesn't mean that we can't minister in any capacity if we're young moms; it just means that we minister on different levels in different seasons of motherhood.  I now have 48 years of experience in many areas of life and ministry that God can use as I move into the next season of ministry.  And I say, "Bring it on!"

God never stops growing us, teaching us, or using us.  God wants us to be available in whatever season of life we are in.  If we are paying attention to the lessons in life that He's using to teach us now, and we learn from them, then we have so much to offer as we exit one season and merge into the next.  Live and learn in the "now". Don't rush the seasons.  They're all for a reason.
"To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:"
                                                                                                (Ecc. 3:1 NKJV)

This summer, God's preparing me to launch a new, season premier this fall!  Stay tuned!  You won't want to miss one single episode of...

My Pleasure,
Melanie
http://www.livingrealmag.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment